Esprit Gassier, Côtes de Provence – 2017
“Esprit Gassier” is the “Gassier Spirit” that combines the exceptional terroir of the Sainte-Victoire region with Côtes de Provence varietals to produce a wine that expresses the family’s passion, expertise and creativity. The beautiful label, designed by a local artist, is silk-screened on the bottle to create a striking package.
Château Gassier is situated 25 kilometers (15.5 miles) from Aix en Provence, at the foot of Mount Sainte Victoire. Its 40 hectares (98.84 acres) benefit from an ideal location in the heart of the Arc Valley, protected by Sainte-Victoire in the north, the Regagnas hills in the south and the Aurélien mountains to the east. The vineyards are at 330 meters (1,082 feet) with a southern exposure. Esprit Gassier is sourced from a blend of neighboring parcels surrounding the estate vineyards of Château Gassier.
- Appellation: Côtes de Provence
- Soil: Clay and limestone pebbles and sand caused by erosion of Mount Sainte Victoire
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
- Training: Cordon de Royat
- Harvest Date(s): Started end of August, with fine weather
Pressing: Cold direct pressing, skin contact during filling of the press
- Fermentation: In stainless steel at a low temperature of 14 C (57.2 F) and then 18 C (64.4 F) at the end of fermentation
- Filtration: Tangential filtration
- Fining: Bentonite fining
A very clear rosé with shades of peach. Intense nose with delicate aromas of white flowers and white fruit (peach). A second nose unveils spicy notes as well as scents of clementine. The mouth is round with notes of citrus fruits and a slight and healthy final acidity
- Varietal Composition: 35% Grenache, 30% Cinsault, 25% Syrah, 10% Rolle
- Alcohol: 13%
Esprit Gassier, Côtes de Provence – 2017 – 90 points – Vinous
Pale onion skin. Fresh strawberry and tangerine scents, joined by a sexy floral nuance that builds in the glass. Dry and nervy on the palate, offering tangy red berry flavors underscored by a dusty mineral element.
Esprit Gassier, Côtes de Provence – 2017 – 90 Points – Wine Enthusiast
This is an intense, structured wine with great acidity as well as swathes of red fruits. A rich wine dominated by peppery Grenache, it also has a pure, red-currant flavor. The acidity is tight and refreshing. The wine will be better with food. Drink now.