Pouilly-Fuissé En Bertilionne – 2017
Exclusively coming from the terroir ‘En Bertilionne’, 0.57 hectares (1.4 acre), limestones with shoals of marl, a little chalky, very chalky deep. The ‘vielles vignes’ of Chardonnay, located at the southern end of Burgundy, are planted between 250 and 500 meters in altitude, higher than the others AOC from Bourgogne. Thus, they provide both maturity and freshness to the wines.
- Vine Age: 35-year old vines
- Density: 10,000 vines/hectare
- Yields: 20 hectoliters per hectare (1.48 tons per acre)
The berries are driven to the pressoir by gravity, and immediately pressed with the whole bunch in order to filtrate the best and most natural way possible. Once the pressurage is done, the juices are cooled down to 46.4° F (8°C) for 2 days on average in order to make the particles fall in the tank. The cold débourbage enables to preserve the best quality and primary aromas. Malolatic fermenta-tions are happening naturally. Bâtonnages are scarce, while barrels and tanks are used depending on the profile of the vintage.
- Aging: 12 months on “lie fine”, 100% oak aged with 30% new barrels, then 4 months in stainless-steel. French oak from the Allier forests. Medium heated.
Vibrant and bright color, yellow gold hints. Mineral, flint aromas with pear and peach hints. Mouth is intense, long with a great mouthwatering finish and citrus notes. Very refined.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Chardonnay
- Production (in cases): 1,900 bottles
- Alcohol: 13.0%
- Optimum Drinking: 2019-2028