Crémant Demi-sec, North Coast – 2016
The Schramsberg Crémant Demi-sec is a delicate, off-dry sparkling wine: an American original. Crémant is French for “creamy” and traditionally refers to a wine with light effervescence. It has approximately two-thirds the pressure of the other sparkling wines and presents a creamier texture with more exotic flavors. Schramsberg made it’s first Crémant in 1972. After rigorous study, Jack and Jamie Davies chose a unique California grape named Flora (a cross of Sémillon and Gewürztraminer developed at UC Davis) to be the core component of this sparkling wine. Flora unites the fruit-forward character of Gewürztraminer with the strength, depth and minerality of Sémillon. Aging on the yeast for two years prior to disgorgement adds complexity, yet the wine will retain its youthful appeal for 20 years or more.
Schramsberg Crémant Demi-sec has been served at many U.S. State events, including President Reagan’s Second Inaugural Luncheon and President Obama’s White House Dinner for China’s President Jinping.
- Appellation: Napa Valley
- County Composition: 100% Napa
- Harvest Date(s): August 5 - September 12, 2016
- Barrel Fermentation: 15%
- Disgorged: November 8 - 13, 2019
- Varietal Composition: 68% Flora, 31% Chardonnay, 1% Pinot Noir
- Production (in cases): 2,376 (9 liter)
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Alcohol: 12.5%
- TA: 7.7 g/l
- p H: 3.06
- RS: 35.9 g/l
- Release Date: January 1, 2020
“The 2016 Crémant reveals developed aromas of sweet tropical mango, pineapple and papaya, complemented by hints of caramelized brown sugar, honeycomb and butterscotch. On entry the palate is creamy and balanced by a quenching acidity. Flavors of peach cobbler, lemon cream and vanilla are complemented by rich, ripe pear, baked apple and crème brûlée. The long clean finish is refreshing with lingering notes of white peach, yellow apple and sweet lime.”– Winemakers Sean Thompson and Hugh Davies
- Serving Suggestions: The sweetness in Crémant is subtle, providing a fine balance with desserts, such as fruit tarts, poached fruits, light cakes, custards, exotic sorbets, gingerbread and crème brûlée. It also complements a wide range of spicy Asian foods, blue cheeses, and matches especially well with foie gras.
Schramsberg Crémant Demi-sec, North Coast – 2016 – The Wine Advocate – 91 Points
The 2016 Crémant Demi-Sec is a blend of 31% Chardonnay, 1% Pinot Noir and 68% Flora, an unusual grape that's a cross of Sémillon and Gewürztraminer. It has about 35 grams per liter of residual sugar, as opposed to the roughly nine to 10 grams per liter for the other sparkling wines in the Schramsberg portfolio. It opens slowly to chalk, shell, quince and loads of floral perfume from the base of aromatic Flora. The palate is medium-bodied, off-dry and very perfumed, with lively mousse and a very clean, refreshing finish. This is very well-balanced, aromatically and structurally, with its kiss o