Crémant Demi-sec, North Coast – 2014
The Schramsberg Crémant Demi-sec is a delicate, off-dry sparkling wine: an American original. Crémant is French for “creamy” and traditionally refers to a wine with light effervescence. It has approximately two-thirds the pressure of the other sparkling wines and presents a creamier texture with more exotic flavors. Schramsberg made it’s first Crémant in 1972. After rigorous study, Jack and Jamie Davies chose a unique California grape named Flora (a cross of Sémillon and Gewürztraminer developed at UC Davis) to be the core component of this sparkling wine. Flora unites the fruit-forward character of Gewürztraminer with the strength, depth and minerality of Sémillon. Aging on the yeast for two years prior to disgorgement adds complexity, yet the wine will retain its youthful appeal for 20 years or more.
Schramsberg Crémant Demi-sec has been served at many U.S. State events, including President Reagan’s Second Inaugural Luncheon and President Obama’s White House Dinner for China’s Xi Jinping. Most recently, the Crémant Demi-sec was served at the White House Governor’s Ball Dinner hosted by President Donald Trump.
- Appellation: Napa Valley
- County Composition: 96% Napa, 2% Mendocino, 1% Sonoma, 1% Marin
- Harvest Date(s): August 8 - September 18, 2014
- Barrel Fermentation: 14%
- Disgorged: August 16, 2017
“Our 2014 Crémant has developed aromas of lemon shortbread, lime peel and glazed apricot; complemented by hints of toasted brioche and butterscotch. The flavors are bright and refreshing on entry with nuances of white peach and pineapple balanced by cardamom spice. The palate is rich on entry with a long, lingering finish.”
– Winemakers Sean Thompson and Hugh Davies
- Serving Suggestions: The sweetness in Crémant is subtle, providing a fine balance with desserts, such as fruit tarts, poached fruits, light cakes, custards, exotic sorbets, gingerbread and crème brûlée. It also complements a wide range of spicy Asian foods, blue cheeses, and matches especially well with foie gras.
- Varietal Composition: 71% Flora, 16% Pinot Noir, 13% Chardonnay
- Production (in cases): 2,432
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Alcohol: 12.9%
- TA: 0.66 g/100 mL
- p H: 3.08
- RS: 4.00 g/100 mL
- Release Date: December 1, 2017
Schramsberg Crémant Demi-sec Napa Valley – 2014 – Connoisseur’s Guide to California Wines – 90 Points
Schramsberg’s Crémant occupies a niche all its own. It is a moderately sweet, carefully crafted sparkler that deftly marries soft, slightly blossomy, apple-like fruit with creamy adjuncts of yeast and notes of vanilla in a lively, energetically bubbled, very well-balanced package that is never mawkish or cloying, and it will serve as a perfect foil to lighter desserts of a
Schramsberg – Crémant Demi-sec North Coast – 2014 – Wine Enthusiast – 92 Points
Balanced sweetness is at the heart of this wine... Richly layered flavors of peach and vanilla complement a lingering effervescence that will work beautifully with spicy foods.