Collepiano, Montefalco Sagrantino DOCG – 2014
Collepiano represents the renaissance of Montefalco as a wine region and Sagrantino as a unique variety grown only in Montefalco. Collepiano is Sagrantino’s area of production at Caprai. The name recalls the gentle slopes that characterize these hills.
- Appellation: Montefalco Sagrantino DOCG
- Cultivation: 100% sustainable
- Size: 12 ha (30 acres)
- Vine Age: 40 years
- Soil: Limestone, clay
- Elevation: 250 meters (820 feet)
- Density: 5,500 vines/hectare (2,227 vines/acre)
- Training: Spurred cordon
- First Year of Production: 1979
A year of low productivity which translates directly into an extraordinary quality of the wines. August and September hot and dry but with well distributed rain events that guarantee balanced ripening. Wines of great complexity and aromatic structure, excellent polyphenolic texture guaranteed by the prolonged maturation on the plant.
- Aging: 22 months in French oak barriques; minimum 6 months aging in bottle
- Barrel Aging: 22 months
- Bottle Aging: 6 months
- Varietal Composition: 100% Sagrantino
- Alcohol: 15.0%
- TA: 5.19 g/L
- RS: < 1 g/L
- Optimum Drinking: 10-15 years
Blackberry jam, pepper, clove and vanilla. Balsamic notes with a hint of powder. Powerful yet elegant . Bold tannins hint towards long aging.