Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG – 2017
- The Label: The Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva label features the della Volpaia family coat of arms. The family took its name from the village of Volpaia itself. Lorenzo della Volpaia (1446-1512), an architect, goldsmith, mathematician and clockmaker, founded a Florentine dynasty of clockmakers and scientific-instrument makers that included his sons Camillo, Benvenuto and Eufrosino, and nephew Girolamo. As clockmaker, Lorenzo gained fame and honor with the construction of the Orologio dei Pianeti (Planetary Clock). Lorenzo also built the clock at the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence. He was a friend of Leonardo da Vinci and took part in the discussions on the placement of Michelangelo’s David. The della Volpaia family instruments are on display at the Science Museums in Florence and Greenwich (United Kingdom), the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence and the Adler Planetarium in Chicago.
- Vineyards: Casavecchia, Casetto, Castellino, Campo a Prato, Pratolino, Santa Caterina, Santa Maria Novella, Vignavecchia
- Cultivation: Certified organic
- Vine Age: Planted 1970-2002
- Soil: All vineyards have light soil consisting of sandstone except Castellino and Santa Maria Novella, which are composed of clay.
- Elevation: On slopes between 400-600 meters (1,300-1,970 feet)
- Exposure: South, southeast, southwest
- Density: 1,038-2,306 vines/acre
- Training: Guyot
A record year for heat and drought throughout the growing season. This condition presented extremes which began early bud break in the vineyard, followed by a spring frost over late April. The frost affected the lower portions of the Volpaia estate. Spring and summer months were dry with higher than average temperatures. Rainfall in mid-September helped the grapes achieve complete ripeness of tannins and other phenolic compounds despite low yields.
- Harvest Date(s): September 11 – October 28
- Barrel Aging: 24 months in oak casks (combination of Slovenian and French) and minimum 3 months in bottle.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Sangiovese
- Alcohol: 14%
- TA: 5.7g/L
- RS: 0.7g/L
The Chianti Classico Riserva has a ruby-red hue with a trace of garnet. The nose is elegant, displaying hints of spice and fruit. This a well-structured wine with smooth tannins and a long finish.
Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG — 2017 – Wine Spectator – 92 Points
Black currant and blackberry fruit defines this juicy, saturated red, with earth, cedar and tobacco adding accents. Finishes with a firm edge of tannins.
Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG – 2017 – Wine & Spirits – 93 Points
Rich, palate-saturating dark-cherry flavors. The wine is densely concentrated yet never heavy, with a smooth texture punctuated by warm spice notes
Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG – 2017 – The Wine Advocate – 92 Points
If you have a platter of fatty porchetta and are looking for a worthy Tuscan wine for that party, look no further. Packaged in a black label, the Volpaia 2017 Chianti Classico Riserva Castello di Volpaia (made with organic fruit) does a great job of showing purity and freshness in what was a challenging vintage for sure. This Riserva reveals delineated tones of cherry and dark berry with crushed limestone, blue flowers and some of the wild herbs and bramble that I often recognize in wines from this corner of Tuscany. I happily recommend it to all Sangiovese enthusiasts.
Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG – 2017 – Wine Enthusiast – 93 Points
Aromas of blue flower, spiced plum, new leather and sunbaked earth form the inviting nose on this pure Sangiovese. Made with organically farmed grapes, the smooth, savory palate doles out fleshy black cherry, baking spice and chopped mint alongside velvety tannins that give it a polished texture. Drink through 2025.