Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG – 2016
- The Label: The Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva label features the della Volpaia family coat of arms. The family took its name from the village of Volpaia itself. Lorenzo della Volpaia (1446-1512), an architect, goldsmith, mathematician and clockmaker, founded a Florentine dynasty of clockmakers and scientific-instrument makers that included his sons Camillo, Benvenuto and Eufrosino, and nephew Girolamo. As clockmaker, Lorenzo gained fame and honor with the construction of the Orologio dei Pianeti (Planetary Clock). Lorenzo also built the clock at the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence. He was a friend of Leonardo da Vinci and took part in the discussions on the placement of Michelangelo’s David. The della Volpaia family instruments are on display at the Science Museums in Florence and Greenwich (United Kingdom), the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence and the Adler Planetarium in Chicago.
- Vineyards: Casavecchia, Casetto, Castellino, Campo a Prato, Pratolino, Santa Caterina, Santa Maria Novella, Vignavecchia
- Cultivation: Certified organic
- Vine Age: Planted 1970-2002
- Soil: All vineyards have light soil consisting of sandstone except Castellino and Santa Maria Novella, which are composed of clay.
- Elevation: On slopes between 400-600 meters (1,300-1,970 feet)
- Exposure: South, southeast, southwest
- Density: 1,038-2,306 vines/acre
- Training: Guyot
The year began with an initially hot then rainy Spring up until the middle of June, followed by a hot and dry Summer causing seriously drought-stressed vines. Heavy rain in the middle of September , followed by a drop in temperature has helped the grapes mature perfectly.
- Harvest Date(s): October 3 – October 12
- Barrel Aging: 24 months in oak casks (combination of Slovenian and French) and minimum 3 months in bottle.
The Chianti Classico Riserva has a ruby-red hue with a trace of garnet. The nose is elegant, displaying hints of spice and fruit. This a well-structured wine with smooth tannins and a long finish.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Sangiovese
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- TA: 5.4g/L
- RS: 0.7g/L