Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG – 2015
- The Label: The Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva label features the della Volpaia family coat of arms. The family took its name from the village of Volpaia itself. Lorenzo della Volpaia (1446-1512), an architect, goldsmith, mathematician and clockmaker, founded a Florentine dynasty of clockmakers and scientific-instrument makers that included his sons Camillo, Benvenuto and Eufrosino, and nephew Girolamo. As clockmaker, Lorenzo gained fame and honor with the construction of the Orologio dei Pianeti (Planetary Clock). Lorenzo also built the clock at the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence. He was a friend of Leonardo da Vinci and took part in the discussions on the placement of Michelangelo’s David. The della Volpaia family instruments are on display at the Science Museums in Florence and Greenwich (United Kingdom), the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence and the Adler Planetarium in Chicago.
- Vineyards: Casavecchia, Casetto, Castellino, Campo a Prato, Pratolino, Santa Caterina, Santa Maria Novella, Vignavecchia
- Cultivation: Certified organic
- Vine Age: Planted 1970-2002
- Soil: All vineyards have light soil consisting of sandstone except Castellino and Santa Maria Novella, which are composed of clay.
- Elevation: On slopes between 400-600 meters (1,300-1,970 feet)
- Exposure: South, southeast, southwest
- Density: 1,038-2,306 vines/acre
- Training: Guyot
The 2015 growing season was very warm. Beginning in May, the growth cycle of the grapevines began 10 days earlier than any time in our recorded vinicultural history at the winery. The month of July presented a very hot period, including record heat throughout all of Italy. This hot and dry condition resulted in vineyard hydro-stress, which accelerated the verasional development in the grape clusters. Temperatures remained very high during August and September with minimal days of rain. This warm late summer and early fall period guaranteed fantastic ripening and produced outstanding quality.
- Harvest Date(s): September 9 – October 7
- Barrel Aging: 24 months in oak casks (combination of Slovenian and French) and minimum 3 months in bottle.
The Chianti Classico Riserva has a ruby-red hue with a trace of garnet. The nose is elegant, displaying hints of spice and fruit. This a well-structured wine with smooth tannins and a long finish.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Sangiovese
- Alcohol: 14%
- TA: 5.6g/L
- RS: 1.6g/L
Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva – 2015 – The Wine Advocate – 92 Points
Made with organically farmed fruit, the 2015 Chianti Classico Riserva (100% Sangiovese) is a very expressive and generous Tuscan red from a beautifully sunny and warm vintage. The wine is succulent, soft and round with lingering flavors of dark berry and summer ripe cherry. The mid-weight mouthfeel is balanced and very lively, thanks to the dazzling fruit...
Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG – 2015 – 96 Points – Wine Spectator
"Though saturated with black currant and blackberry fruit and backed by opaque tannins, this red is pure and balanced. Thyme, iron, leather and tar notes give this complexity, while the finish goes into overtime. Best from 2023 through 2040."