Chianti Classico DOCG – 2005
The Chianti Classico label features the Commenda di Sant’Eufrosino, the second of four churches built within the city’s walls. Attributed to Italian architect and sculptor Michelozzo di Bartolomeo (1396–1472), the church was built in 1443 by request of the Canigiani family who lived in Volpaia. One of the family members wished to join the Knights of Malta, a religious order and military brotherhood ruled by a Grand Master that answered only to the Pope. The Knights of Malta required that the Canigianis build a church in Volpaia before joining the religious order. The Commenda was deconsecrated in 1932 and declared a national monument in 1981. For 13 years, until 1993, the Commenda housed a renowned art collection. The Commenda is now used for dinners, tastings and other events and its basement contains one of Volpaia’s barrel-aging cellars.
- The Label:
- Vineyards: Campo a Pitti, Campo alla Fonte (Syrah), Casavecchia, Casetto, Castellino, Campo a Prato, Montanino, Pratolino, Santa Caterina (Merlot and Sangiovese), Santa Caterina Vecchia, Santa Maria Novella, Vignavecchia
- Appellation: Tuscany
- Cultivation: Certified organic
- Vine Age: Planted 1970–2004
- Soil: All vineyards have light soils consisting of sandstone except Campo alla Fonte, which is sandstone and clay and Castellino and Santa Maria Novella, which are composed of clay.
- Elevation: On slopes between 1,300 and 1,970 feet
- Exposure: A range of southern exposures
- Density: 1,038–2,306 vines/acre
- Training: Volpaia uses cane pruning in all of its vineyards except Santa Caterina, which uses single-arched cane and Santa Maria Novella, which uses spur pruning.
The 2005 vintage was characterized by alternating periods of hot, dry weather and cool, rainy weather, allowing the grapes to ripen slowly and develop good aromatics. Harvest started later compared to previous vintages.
- Harvest Date(s): September 25–October 15
- Barrel Aging: 12 months in large casks
- Varietal Composition: 90% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot and Syrah
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Cases Imported: 2,000
- Imported Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Alcohol: 13.0%
The Chianti Classico has a vivid ruby color and a strong nose of fresh red fruit with hints of cherry. This is a well-structured wine with a juicy finish.
Chianti Classico DOCG – 2005
Chianti Classico DOCG – 2005 – 88 points – Wine Enthusiast
"Made with Chianti Classico tradition in mind, this compelling Riserva has measured tones of blueberry, cherry, almond paste and root beer. It exhibits medium-intensity notes of fresh forest fruit on the close. It's simple but extremely genuine...."
Chianti Classico DOCG – 2005 – 88 points, Best Buy – Wine & Spirits
“Ferrous tannins give the ripe fruit in this wine a rustic edge. It should soften with another year or two, then serve it with roast lamb.”
Chianti Classico DOCG – 2005 – 87 points – Wine Spectator
“Good lean aromas and flavors of crushed currant and berry, against a background of fresh oak. Medium-bodied, with fine tannins and a tasty finish of fruit and oak. Best after 2008.”