Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru – 2018
- Appellation: Burgundy
- Location: 3 parcels in Chevalier-Montrachet
- Cultivation: 100% biodynamic
- Size: Chevalier du bas sud: 6.5 ouvrées (0.69 acre), planted in 1957 and 1958; Chevalier du bas nord: 21 ouvrées (2.22 acres) planted in 1955, 1964 and 1980; Chevalier du haut: 19 ouvrées (2.01 acres), planted in 1974
- Soil: Calcareous clay
- Fermentation: Long, gentle pneumatic pressing, “débourbage, or “settling of the juice,” over 24 hours; then racking and running the must into cask
- Barrel Fermentation: Alcoholic fermentation in oak casks, 25% new (maximum 1/3 Vosges, minimum 2/3 Allier)
- Aging: Aged 12 months in cask, 6 months in tank, then prepared for bottling
- Filtration: Homeopathic fining and very light filtering at bottling, if necessary
Domaine Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru — 2018 – The Wine Advocate – 96 Points
The 2018 Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru has turned out brilliantly, unwinding in the glass with sachets of orange oil, white flowers, crisp orchard fruit, blanched almonds, vanilla pod and buttered toast. Full-bodied, satiny and concentrated, it's deep and multidimensional, with racy acids and a long, electric finish. This is one 2018 white Burgundy that is built for sustained bottle age.
Domaine Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru – 2018 – Vinous – 96-98 Points
The 2018 Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru has an intense bouquet of lemon thyme, crushed limestone, and traces of orange pith and citrus peel that gain intensity with aeration. The palate is underpinned with a fine, almost razor-sharp bead of acidity. There is a wonderful crescendo of flavor here, leading to a multifaceted, lemongrass-tinged finish that lingers with a saline aftertaste. This is sheer class, a tremendous Chevalier-Montrachet. Drink 2024 - 2055.