Chenin Blanc, Val de Loire IGP – 2015
Winter started with mild temperatures and low precipitation causing the blooming cycle to start early in the spring. March and April were unusually warm, leading to an early budbreak around April 10th. The growth slowed down in May as temperatures lowered and rainfall increased. June saw an increase in temperature and low amounts of rain. Flowering began around June 10th. Regular conditions in July and August created the perfect environment for the vine’s growth. The canopy and clusters developed well and rapidly under good conditions. The grapes reached great maturity thanks to a warm month of September. The harvest took place in idyllic condition without rain and pleasant temperatures.
- Cultivation: Covering the vine stock with soil in autumn, plowing-down in spring, tilling and allowing natural grass to grow between the rows; biodynamic practices include infusions and plant decoctions applied to the vineyards according to the lunar calendar. DEMETER Certified 100% Biodynamic.
- Vine Age: 4 years
- Soil: Silty-clay terroir, consisting of sandstone grit and red flint on tuffeau (limestone)
- Harvest Date(s): Chenin Blanc harvested September 25 and 29, hand-picked in 12-kilogram (26-pound) boxes and sorted in the vineyard
- Yields: 18 hectoliters/hectare (1.48 tons / acre)
Whole cluster, slowly and gently pressed in a pneumatic press. Cold settling
followed by long fermentation with native yeast in aged oak barrel from Burgundy.
Pruning: Guyot Mixte pruning system
- Aging: Aged 12 months on fine lees in 5 years old burgundy oak barrels, in ancient troglodyte cellars cut into the limestone on the hillside on the property, then 6 month in stainless steel tank.
- Bottled: Bottled without filtration or fining on March 20, 2017, a “fruit day”
- Varietal Composition: 100% Chenin Blanc
Clau de Nell Chenin Blanc, Val de Loire IGP – 2015 – Jancis Robinson – 17 Points
Biodyamically grown on grés and red silex. Wonderfully expressive combination of fruit, acidity and the grip of the terroir. Super pure. Very linear and suave. Long and admirable. Acacia honey and green apples. Should continue to develop for many a long year. Needs food at this point. Lots to chew on. Very persistent. Severe, in the very best way.