Chardonnay, Hyde Vineyard, Carneros, Napa Valley – 2016
- Vineyards: Hyde Vineyard, at the eastern edge of Los Carneros District
- Appellation: Los Carneros, Napa Valley
- Size: 8.64 acres
- Vine Age: 24 to 36 years
- Clones: “Old Wente” and Calera
- Soil: Shallow loam over clay hardpan
- Exposure: South by southeast
2016 started with a cold and wet winter, which gave the vines a well-deserved dormancy after the fast-paced growing season of 2015. Bud break occurred in mid-March and was followed by a dry and warm spring. This resulted in a healthy and vigorous canopy and ideal pollination, resulting in a bountiful crop.
Heavy fog in early August slowed down the maturation process and allowed for optimal phenolic development while retaining the freshness and natural acidity Hyde Vineyard is known for.
- Harvest Date(s): August 27–September 12 2016
- Malolactic: Yes
- Aging: 11 months in French oak; 80% barrels (20% new) and 20% foudre
- Bottled: November 15, 2017; unfined and unfiltered
- Production (in cases): 2,387 cases
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Alcohol: 13.9%
High-toned aromas of mandarin blossom and lemongrass frame a core of zested Meyer lemon and Freestone peach. This wine shows focus and precision, yet surprisingly balanced opulence. Crushed sea shell minerality flirts across the palate and accentuates the freshpicked pear and Braeburn apple flavors. Finishing with warming clove and a hint of gunpowder and flint, this wine expresses sophisticated elegance from start to finish. Its balanced composition promises enjoyment in its youth but also decades of ageability.
—Guillame Boudet, Winemaker