Chardonnay, Hyde Vineyard, Carneros, Napa Valley – 2013
- Size: 8.62 acres
- Vine Age: 23-33 years
- Soil: Shallow loam over clay hardpan
- Exposure: South by southeast
The 2012 growing season was reminiscent of 2009: mild and warm days followed by cool nights, without any extreme weather events to disturb this smooth and slow growing season. Needless to say, the various Hyde de Villaine blocks thrived in a vintage without late-season rains and extreme acts of Mother Nature. Harvest began on September 5, after the long, slow maturation period had allowed our fruit to reach an impeccable definition and balance.
- Harvest Date(s): September 9, 17, 18, 25 and 28
- Malolactic: Yes
- Aging: 12 months in oak (20% new) and 3 months in stainless steel
- Bottled: November 26, 2013
- Production (in cases): 1,814 cases
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Alcohol: 14.1%
The nose is a delicate blend of white peach and clove, with a touch of floral citrus. The essence of crisp stone fruit and minerals integrates seamlessly with the finesse, focus and purity of this wine’s firm acid structure. Hyde Vineyard continues to be expressed in our Chardonnays through its unique blend of minerality, subtle richness and long finish. These qualities bring the 2012 closer in style to our original vintage, the 2000, in freshness and vibrancy.