Chardonnay, Estate, Kumeu – 2015
- Vineyards: Kumeu River Chardonnay is drawn from six different vineyard sites in the Kumeu Region. We are particularly careful in selecting only the very best grapes from these vineyards for our Kumeu River Estate label.
- Cultivation: Sustainable
- Size: 10 hectares (24.7 acres)
- Vine Age: Planted 1990-2001
- Clones: 15, Mendoza, 95, 96, 6
- Soil: Clay loam
- Elevation: Approximately 100 meters (328 feet)
- Exposure: North
- Training: Lyre and VSP
- Harvest Date(s): March-April (hand-harvested)
- Yields: 3.5 tons/acre
Pressing: Whole-bunched pressed
Fermentation: Wild-yeast in French barriques
Aging: Aged 11 months in French barriques (20% new, remainder up to 5 years old); aged 5 months in tank after barrel aging
- Varietal Composition: 100% Chardonnay
- Production (in cases): 5,700 cases (12/750ml)
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- TA: 5.9g/L
- p H: 3.26
The quantity of Estate Chardonnay for 2015 is less than expected due to spring frost and poor flowering. The summer of 2015 and due to the low yield this wine has remarkable depth and intensity. The nose is immediately fragrant and peachy, the texture rich and lingering with a beautiful bracing acidity on the finish. The wine is delicious now but with this level of concentration and complexity it certainly will be very long-lived.
Kumeu River Chardonnay, Kumeu Estate – 2015 – James Suckling – 93 Points
Ripe grapefruit with floral and nutty notes, this is a very elegant, cool-climate chardonnay that's just getting into its stride. A precise balance of richness and freshness extends through the long, subtle finish. Drink or hold. Screw cap.
Chardonnay, Estate, Kumeu – 2015 – 92 points – Wine Enthusiast
"The estate blend is a terrific value in this vintage, coming close to equaling the quality of the single-vineyard wines. Grilled pineapple and melon notes feature a strong acid line that drives through into a long finish."
Chardonnay, Estate, Kumeu – 2015 – 90 points – Wine Spectator Online
"Linear, with a focused profile of lime sherbet, lemon verbena and Meyer lemon flavors that are polished and vibrant. Shows plenty of intensity on the mouthwatering finish."