Chablis Saint Martin – 2017
Saint Martin, the patron saint of Chablis, was a Roman cavalry officer who became a humble monk and was elected Bishop of Tours. After his death in 397, his body was brought back to the Abbey of Marmoutier in Tours, where his relics (such as his cavalry cape, which he had torn in half for a beggar) were kept. In 877, as the Normans were invading the Touraine, monks took his relics to Chablis to avoid destruction. Saint Martin’s relics were kept for a decade in the Obédiencerie of the ninth-century monastery in the town of Chablis. The Saint Martin cuvée is the flagship wine of Domaine Laroche, a symbol of the Laroche values of sharing and conviviality.
Saint Martin is a blend of the best plots of Domaine Laroche vineyards in the Chablis appellation. All plots are located on Kimmeridgian limestone soil with a west to northwest orientation. Thanks to the diverse nuances of these sources, they bring richness and complexity to the final cuvée.
- Grape Source: 100% Chardonnay
- Viticulture: One-man, one plot cultivation at Laroche, meaning one person is completely in charge of his section of the vineyard, from pruning through to harvest. Conversion to organic viticulture was begun in 2010 for these Laroche vineyards. Domaine Laroche will require four consecutive years of organic cultivation (one more year than EU regulations prescribe) before they will consider their viticulture to be 100% organic. Traditional Chablis pruning system with strict pruning and debudding; trellising to aerate the canopy and leaf plucking to avoid compact canopy and prevent growth of botrytis. Green harvesting when needed.
- Size: 60 hectares (148.26 acres)
- Vine Age: Average of 30+ years
- Density: 6,600 vines per hectare (2,670 vines per acre); 10,000 vines per hectare (24,700 vines per acre) for younger vines; massal selection from Laroche old vines for the new plantings
A precocious season with buds showing in early April. The cold wave that followed slowed down the growth, leaving good conditions for the flowering beginning of June. This singular season offered beautiful bunch and quality grapes with good health conditions. Once pressed, the juices are precise, straight, with great texture This vintage will bring well-structured wines with a nice freshness.
- Harvest Date(s): Mid- September
- Yields: 54 hectoliters per hectare (4 tons per acre)
- Fermentation: 21 days fermentation at 17˚C (62˚F) in stainless steel vats
- Malolactic: Yes
- Filtration: Minimum filtration to preserve the maximum natural character of the wine
Chablis Saint Martin has the intense freshness typical of the terroir in combination with ripe white fruit and white blossom aromas. The minerality gives a lingering finish and a distinct character. A nice complexity emerges from this vintage, while keeping a lot of purity.
- Cases Imported: 5,000 (12/750ml)
- Alcohol: 12.5%
Domaine Laroche Chablis Saint Martin – 2017 – Wine Spectator – 90 Points
Gentle aromas of lemon and apple pick up a stony element as this white builds on the palate. Rich, yet backed by a vibrant structure, ending with a lemon note and a chalky feel on the finish. Drink now through 2023.