Cascina Nuova Barolo DOCG — 2017
Cascina Nuova is the historical name of the Elvio Cogno estate and of the area where it is located within the Ravera cru.
- Vineyards: 100% Nebbiolo da Barolo
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards located in the mid-hill region; Novello village; Ravera area
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Vine Age: Younger vines at a maximum of 10 years old
- Soil: Limestone and Clay
- Elevation: 380 meters (1,246 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: South and southeast
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,618 vines/acre)
2017 is to be considered a very good vintage. Despite being characterized by hot and dry summer months, water reserves in the soil and September rain saved the vines from being stressed by water shortage. These factors, together with the excellent exposure of our plots and the scrupulous practices adopted in the vineyard during the growing season, allowed the grapes to fully ripen, avoiding to anticipate the harvest date too much. The 2017 wines are incredibly pleasant to drink: they are rich in crunchy red fruit, with an energetic mouthfeel, dominated by freshness and elegant tannins.
- Harvest Date(s): October
In stainless-steel, temperature controlled, automatic pump-over; 100% indigenous yeast.
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermentors
- Aging: 2 years in large oak barrels, followed by 6 months in bottle. Bottled without filtration.
- Filtration: Unfiltered
- Varietal Composition: 100% Nebbiolo da Barolo
- Production (in cases): 1,917
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Cases Imported: 600
- Imported Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Alcohol: 15%
- TA: 5.71 g/L
- p H: 3.48
- RS: .56 g/L
The grapes used for producing the 2017 Barolo Cascina Nuova comes from the youngest Nebbiolo vines located in our Ravera vineyard. Out of all our Barolo wines, it is the most accessible one, even if we don’t like to consider it an entry level Barolo. It has a strong personality due to its great finesse and depth of fruit. The 2017 vintage smells of red fruit and sweet spices, complemented by a refreshing blood orange note. On the palate, it shows a lively acidity and is perfectly balanced thanks to the silky and wraparound texture of its tannins.
Elvio Cogno Cascina Nuova Barolo DOCG — 2017 – Jeb Dunnuck – 93 Points
This is perfumed with ripe cherry, licorice, tar, and dried roses. The palate is ripe and refreshing, with a fairly classic build noted by red plum, tobacco leaf, and turned earth. This wine is beautiful and inviting out of the gates.
Elvio Cogno Cascina Nuova Barolo DOCG — 2017 – James Suckling – 95 Points
Attractive dried strawberry with cherry and tar on the nose. Full-bodied with powerful tannins that are dusty and intense. Very flavorful and long. Solid as a rock
Elvio Cogno Cascina Nuova Barolo DOCG — 2017 – Vinous – 91 Points
An attractive wine to drink now and over the next decade or so. Bright red-toned fruit, crushed rose petal and mint open in the glass.
Elvio Cogno Cascina Nuova Barolo DOCG — 2017 – Jancis Robinson – 17 Points
Just mid ruby. A subtle, balsamic, lifted nose that is a little closed and with savoury, minerally notes. Opens up with aeration to pure cherry fruit. Focused, concentrated cherry fruit with a rich layer of intense, powdery tannins. Very elegant, with real freshness and concentration at the same time.