Cascina Nuova Barolo DOCG – 2015
Cascina Nuova is the historical name of the Elvio Cogno estate and of the area where it is located within the Ravera cru.
- Vineyards: 100% Nebbiolo da Barolo
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards located in the mid-hill region; Novello village; Ravera area
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Vine Age: Younger vines at a maximum of 10 years old
- Soil: Limestone and Clay
- Elevation: 380 meters (1,246 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: South and southeast
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,618 vines/acre)
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel, temperature-controlled, with automatic pump overs, postfermentation maceration for 20 days with submerged cap; skin contact for 40-45 days, with fermentation and afterwards, with the post- fermentation maceration submerged cap;100% withindigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermentors
- Aging: 2 years in large oak barrels, followed by 6 months in bottle
- Filtration: Unfiltered
- Varietal Composition: 100% Nebbiolo
- Production (in cases): 1,917
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Cases Imported: 500
- Imported Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 5.91 g/L
- p H: 3.48
- RS: .5 g/L
A wine made to satisfy the curiosity of consumers who are keen to have a more immediate understanding of Barolo. This wine is a bright garnet red in color with orange tints. Pleasing and immediate; it offers scents of flowers and light, delicate spices. The bouquet is agreeably rounded, with just the right balance between pleasantness and elegance. The aftertaste is very harmonious with a long, mineral, aromatic finish. Serve with hearty meat dishes such as braised and roast beef, game, aged cheeses, or even—why not? — from first course to last.
Elvio Cogno Barolo Cascina Nuova – 2015 – Wine Spectator – 93 Points
A supple texture and harmony are the hallmarks of this alluring red, setting you up for pure flavors of cherry, raspberry, licorice, mint and tobacco. A solid backbone of tannins provides support. This should develop nicely over the medium term. Best from 2021 through 2033.
Elvio Cogno Cascina Nuovo Barolo DOCG – 2015 – The Wine Advocate – 93 Points
The 2015 Barolo Cascina Nuova is a dark and concentrated expression that offers succulence and richness with a full load of ripe summer plum and blackberry. There is softness here with black and purple fruit, natural rubber and savory spice. Pair this wine with a hearty beef en croute and roasted vegetables.
Elvio Cogno Cascina Nuovo Barolo DOCG – 2015 – Vinous – 91 Points
The 2015 Barolo Cascina Nuova is a very pretty entry-level offering from Elvio Cogno. Bright red berry and lifted floral notes pair nicely with the wine's gracious, mid-weight feel. Silky tannins match the wine's finely sculpted, saline-infused personality. The Cascina Nuova is a terrific example of the bright, taut Barolos made here in 2015. I would prefer to drink this gracious, lithe Barolo over the next decade or so.
Elvio Cogno Cascina Nuovo Barolo DOCG – 2015 – Wine Enthusiast – 93 Points
Aromas of rose, red berry and wild herbs are front and center on this fresh, refined red. On the bright palate, taut, polished tannins and good acidity accompany juicy raspberry, white pepper and star anise. Drink 2020–2025.