Cascina Nuova Barolo DOCG – 2013
Cascina Nuova is the historical name of the Elvio Cogno estate and of the area where it is located within the Ravera cru.
- Vineyards: 100% Nebbiolo da Barolo
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards located in the mid-hill region; Novello village; Ravera area
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Vine Age: Younger vines at a maximum of 10 years old
- Soil: Limestone and Clay
- Elevation: 380 meters (1,246 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: South and southeast
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,618 vines/acre)
The start of the spring was slow and characterized by low temperatures. Both April and May featured plenty of rainfall, with conditions prime for risks of fungi infections. In June and July, the weather turned favorably dry and sunny, producing very good and even flowering, followed by a generous fruit set. Despite the good weather in August and September, there was delay from the springtime that lasted to the harvest. All in all, the hot and dry days accompanied by the very cool nights created the perfect conditions for a very good phenolic ripening, especially on the Nebbiolo grape.
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel, temperature-controlled, with automatic pump overs, postfermentation maceration for 20 days with submerged cap; skin contact for 40-45 days, with fermentation and afterwards, with the post- fermentation maceration submerged cap;100% withindigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermentors
- Aging: 2 years in large oak barrels, followed by 1 year in bottle Bottled without filtration
The color is garnet red with orange hues while the nose is very intense with fruity aromas of wild strawberry and black cherry, accompanied by sweet, spicy notes. On the palate, it is full-bodied with deep and refined tannins. The wine is warm and balanced with bright acidity creating a very soft and elegant finish. The wine is exceedingly approachable.
- Production (in cases): 1,500 (12/750ml)
- Cases Imported: 450
- Alcohol: 14.5%
Elvio Cogno Barolo Cascina Nuova – 2013 – Jancis Robinson – 17/20
Novello. Lustrous and healthy mid ruby. Gorgeous, cool nose of red fruit, herbs and raspberry and with a fine layer of spice underneath. Iron and orange-peel hints. Very complete on the nose. Very serious palate of liquorice and cherry and bags of tannins. Finely tuned balance and just too youthful. Very long and a little austere, and with gripping tannins. Big, big struct
Cascina Nuova Barolo DOCG – 2013 – 92 points – Wine Spectator
“Round and fruity, boasting cherry, strawberry, eucalyptus and tobacco flavors, singed by an iron element. Well-balanced, with fine length. Best from 2019 through 2032.”