Cabernet Sauvignon, Maremma Toscana DOC – 2013
- Appellation: Maremma Toscana DOC
- Cultivation: 100% organic
- Size: 12 hectares (29.7 acres) total. 6.35 hectares (15.7 acres) planted to Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2004
- Soil: 80% sand, 15% clay, 5% silt and gravel
- Elevation: 37-52 meters (120-170 feet)
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 8,649-9,884 vines/hectare (3,500-4,000 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot
The 2013 growing season will be remembered as relatively rainy. However, development of the vine was not hindered by the wet weather conditions. Budbreak, flowering and the beginning of veraison took place right on time. Mild temperatures over the summer months and ample hydration of the soil allowed for a slow and balanced progression of sugars and perfect phenolic ripeness. In general, harvest began a bit later than normal for the coastal vineyards. Good quality prevailed in the Prelius vineyard.
- Harvest Date(s): September 24
- Barrel Aging: 9 months in new 30-hectoliter (800-gallon) French oak casks
- Varietal Composition: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Alcohol: 14.5%
The nose is rich, displaying aromas of blackberry, blueberry and a hint of cinnamon rounding out with seductive oak notes. Color is rich with an intense gem-like quality paired with dark violet highlights. This is a full-bodied wine that displays solid structure and complexity, exhibiting dark red fruit and a lingering finish.
Cabernet Sauvignon, Maremma Toscana DOC – 2013 – 90 Points – jamessuckling.com
“A red with plenty of berry, currant and chocolate character. Medium body, round tannins and a juicy finish. Outstanding cab from Maremma.”
Cabernet Sauvignon, Maremma Toscana DOC – 2013 – 90 points – The Tasting Panel
“Dark, ripe and intense with spice, sweet oak and soft herbs; rich, dense and generous with balance and depth.”