Cabernet Franc, Anjou AOC – 2013
- Cultivation: Covering the vine stock with soil in autumn, plowing-down in spring, tilling and allowing natural grass to grow between the rows; biodynamic practices include infusions and plant decoctions applied to the vineyards according to the lunar calendar. DEMETER Certified 100% Biodynamic.
- Size: 5 hectares (12.35 acres)
- Vine Age: 35-45 years
- Soil: Silty-clay terroir, consisting of sandstone grit and red flint on tuffeau (limestone)
- Training: Simple guyot system
Although the beginning of the winter of 2013 was characterized by low temperatures, it was accompanied by unremitting rains. The beginning of spring was so cold that budbreak was delayed. Then two beautiful days at the end of April allowed the shoots to break through. The month of May was marked by relatively low temperatures for the season with little rainfall. The first two weeks of June were seasonably warm, which gave way to heavy rain storms. Flowering occurred at the end of June and progressed well, despite temperatures that were rather low for the season. From July to mid-September temperatures were not excessive for the summer months, but also there was less rain than usual. The vines grew very quickly, and the grapes set with equal speed. In mid-September a spell of rainy weather across the region allowed the grapes to develop and mature in a good state of health. Temperatures during both day and night remained sufficiently warm. Harvest was marked by good weather conditions with little rain and agreeable temperatures.
- Yields: 25 hl/ha (1.85 tons/acre)
Destemmed grapes were fermented using native yeasts; average of 30 days maceration without extraction; gentle cap-punching; limited pump-overs; and infusion techniques at temperatures of 18 C to 25 C (64 F to 77 F). Slow and gentle pressing in a pneumatic press.
- Barrel Aging: 18 months on fine lees in French oak casks used five times previously; in ancient troglodyte cellars cut into the limestone hillside on the property
- Filtration: None
- Fining: None
- Bottled: April 14, 2015, a "flower day"
- Varietal Composition: 100% Cabernet Franc
Cabernet Franc, Anjou AOC – 2013 – 93 points, Top 100 Wines of 2016 #66 – International Wine Report
“… a sensational effort … striking aromas of black raspberries and wild forest berries which come together beautifully with dried violets, tobacco, smoldering ash and a touch of white pepper … a completely compelling, elegant display ...”
Cabernet Franc, Anjou AOC – 2013 – 90 points – The Tasting Panel
"From the Loire estate of the late Anne-Claude Leflaive, who passed away in April at age 59; silky and juicy with bright, lively raspberry and spice. Biodynamic.”