Brut Rosé, North Coast – 2017
Schramsberg Brut Rosé is fruitful, complex and dry, making it both versatile with food and delicious by itself as an apéritif. The character of the wine is most strongly influenced by bright, flavorful Pinot Noir grown in Carneros, Anderson Valley, and the Sonoma and Marin coastal areas. A few small lots of Pinot Noir are fermented in contact with their skins to add depth and subtle color to this vibrant sparkling wine. Chardonnay gives spice, structure and length on the palate.
Hand picking, careful handling and gentle pressing produce a wine of delicacy, free of skin and seed tannin. Following the fall harvest and base winemaking period, an extensive process of blending trial and refinement is carried out in the spring. The finished blend is aged on the yeast in the bottle for about two years, just enough to achieve refined effervescence and toastiness without diminishing its refreshing, vibrant appeal.
For the 2017 vintage, abundant winter rains prior to the growing season helped recharge reservoirs and groundwater. Spring weather was cool to mild, with increased vine vigor and extended flowering in some areas. After a summer of heat spikes, harvest started in the beginning of August. Warm days and cool nights throughout harvest encouraged exceptional fruit development while maintaining bright acidity.
- Appellation: North Coast
- County Composition: 57% Sonoma, 17% Napa, 17% Mendocino, 9% Marin
- Harvest Date(s): August 8 – September 25, 2017
- Barrel Fermentation: 24%
- Varietal Composition: 72% Pinot Noir, 28% Chardonnay
- Production (in cases): 16,333 (9-Liter)
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Available Formats: 750ml
- Alcohol: 12.6%
- TA: 8.2 g/l
- p H: 3.20
- RS: 9.0 g/l
- Release Date: April 1, 2020
The 2017 Brut Rosé has generous aromas of strawberry, watermelon and raspberry. Its fruitful nose is complemented by notes of red cherry, pomegranate and cranberry-lime. On the palate, there are lush flavors of mango, mandarin orange and peach, with soft touches of brioche, orange zest and vanilla. The fruitful finish has a juicy center with bright acidity. – Winemakers Sean Thompson and Hugh Davies
- Serving Suggestions: Enjoy this rich, delicious sparkler on almost any occasion: at your favorite restaurant, a special dinner at home, at a beach picnic or a backyard barbecue. A very versatile wine; try it with sushi, salmon, rock shrimp, pizza, roast chicken, BBQ ribs, Caprese and Panzanella salads, red berry tarts and an array of cheeses, charcuterie, nuts and fresh fruit.