Brunello di Montalcino DOCG – 2013
- Grape Source: Sangiovese Grosso from the Val di Suga vineyards in Montalcino in its three historic zones. ( 35% from Vigna del Lago–40% from Poggio al Granchio–25% from Vigna Spuntali)
- Appellation: Brunello di Montalcino DOCG
- Size: 55 ha (136 acres)
- Vine Age: 19 years
- Soil: Clay, marl and sand
- Elevation: 270–450 meters (886-1,476 feet) above sea level
- Orientation: North to south
- Density: 5,050 vines/acre (7,143 vines/hectare)
- Training: Spurred cordon
Harvest Notes: Summer weather conditions during the first ten days of September, with constant sunshine and temperatures even above
average, especially in daytime. During the day, temperatures reached 30°C (86°F) and above. Rather cool temperatures at night around 18°C (64°F). Ripening progressed well, registering a weekly increase of 1-1.5 alcoholic degrees. The second ten days were like the first, although temperatures were slightly lower; grape ripening progressed well.
- Harvest Date(s): End of September to the end of October
Fermentation and maceration take place at a controlled temperature of 25˚–30˚C (77˚–86˚F) in 150hl stainless-steel for 20-25 days. 100% Malolactic fermentation.
- Aging: 36 months in Slovenian oak followed by 12 months in bottle
Red with garnet highlights. Rich, complex nose opens up immediately with dark cherry, chinotto orange and violet then with wider, more complex notes of blueberry, vanilla, tobacco, cinnamon and chocolate with a menthol finish. In the mouth, this Brunello has a classic style, elegant tannins and a long finish.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Sangiovese
- Alcohol: 14.06%
- TA: 5.6g/L
- p H: 3.36
Val di Suga Brunello di Montalcino – 2013 – Wine Enthusiast – 91 Points
Enticing scents of exotic spice, iris, red berry and a whiff of eucalyptus mingle together. On the youthfully assertive palate, firm close-grained tannins and bright acidity frame sour cherry, pomegranate and white pepper.
Val di Suga Brunello di Montalcino – 2013 – Wine Spectator – 92 Points
Elegant, balanced and shows a nice mix of berry fruit, with savory underbrush and mineral elements. This is firm and fresh, with a lingering aftertaste on the salty side.