Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG – 2014
Bricco Pernice is named for the rock on which courting partridges build their nest. “Pernice” translates as “rock ptarmigan” or “partridge,” “Bricco” is a hill. This is the very latest wine from Elvio Cogno. Until a few years ago this was part of the Ravera Barolo cru; in recent years it has been expanded to incorporate the neighboring hills. The fruit of years of hard work, this wine is a dream come true, made from the finest vineyard in Novello in the most historic part of the Ravera cru. The label is designed by Elena, Elvio’s granddaughter.
- Vineyards: 100% Nebbiolo da Barolo, Lampia sub-variety of Nebbiolo
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyard at the top of the Ravera hill
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Vine Age: One section is 20 years old, the other section is 65 years old
- Soil: Limestone, calcareous, with less sand than the other hill of the Ravera cru
- Elevation: 320 meters (1,050 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: South and southeast
- Density: 5,000 vines/hectare (2,023 vines/acre)
A cold and snowy winter welcomed a warm and dry spring. which allowed an even budding. Summer saw warm days with some rainfall followed by a very dry end of the season. The beginning of fall was dry and cool creating optimal conditions for the phenolic ripening for the Nebbiolo grapes. The warm and dry weather during harvest ensured the grapes were evenly ripe and perfectly healthy.
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel, temperature-controlled, with automatic pump overs, post-fermentation maceration for 30 days with submerged cap; skin contact for 40-45 days with fermentation and afterwards, with post-fermentation maceration submerged cap; 100% with indigenous yeast.
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermentors
- Aging: 30 months barrel-aging in large (25-30 hl/660-793 gallons), used Slavonian oak, followed by 18 months in bottle Bottled without filtration
- Production (in cases): 817 (6/750ml)
- Cases Imported: 150
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 5.91 g/L
- p H: 3.48
- RS: < 1 g/l
Ruby to garnet red in color. Intense notes of violet accompanied by a hint of damp soil, ripe red fruit and subtle spiciness. Harmonious and well-structured on the palate with incisive yet fine, soft tannins. Already elegant and alluring when young, its silkiness and, above all, its complexity allow it to age as only great wines know how.
Elvio Cogno Barolo Ravera Bricco Pernice DOCG – 2014 – The Wine Advocate – 94 Points
The 2014 Barolo Ravera Bricco Pernice is full and soft with great fruit density. This is a nicely balanced wine that shows more intensity than I might have expected from this cool vintage that generally produced thinner wines in comparison. There is sweet, supple spice on the close. This elegant Barolo would go nicely with a beef and pork shank cassoulet. The wine has the fiber to age beautifully, but it will also show nicely in the medium-term, for those looking for a more accessible Barolo.
Elvio Cogno Barolo Ravera Bricco Pernice DOCG – 2014 – Vinous – 96 Points
The 2014 Barolo Bricco Pernice is vivid, precise and flat-out stunning. Like the best wines of the year, the Bricco Pernice is going to need a bit of time to be at its very best. I find the wine's inner perfume and sweetness to be utterly beguiling. At the same time, the Bricco Pernice remains taut, classically austere and in need of cellaring.
Elvio Cogno Barolo Ravera Bricco Pernice DOCG – 2014 – Wine Enthusiast – 93 Points
Fragrant blue flower, tilled earth, new leather, baking spice and wild berry aromas form a lovely fragrance. On the polished, full-bodied palate, smooth tannins and bright acidity elegantly support juicy raspberry, strawberry compote, clove and licorice.
Elvio Cogno Barolo Ravera Bricco Pernice DOCG – 2014 – James Suckling – 92 Points
This has some good depth for 2014 with darker cherries delivering a stronger impression. The aromas of fresh fruit are lightly spiced and lead to a palate that has a firm and slightly chewy edge. Drink or hold.