Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG – 2012
Bricco Pernice is named for the rock on which courting partridges build their nest. “Pernice” translates as “rock ptarmigan” or “partridge,” “Bricco” is a hill. This is the very latest wine from Elvio Cogno. Until a few years ago this was part of the Ravera Barolo cru; in recent years it has been expanded to incorporate the neighboring hills. The fruit of years of hard work, this wine is a dream come true, made from the finest vineyard in Novello in the most historic part of the Ravera cru. The label is designed by Elena, Elvio’s granddaughter.
- Vineyards: 100% Nebbiolo da Barolo, Lampia sub-variety of Nebbiolo
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyard at the top of the Ravera hill
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Vine Age: One section is 20 years old, the other section is 65 years old
- Soil: Limestone, calcareous, with less sand than the other hill of the Ravera cru
- Elevation: 320 meters (1,050 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: South and southeast
- Density: 5,000 vines/hectare (2,023 vines/acre)
A very cold and snowy January and February led to a cool and wet March and April. Increasing temperatures in May, along with a generous water supply created conditions that were perfect for a fast and even growth. The flowering in June was accompanied by some heavy rain, reducing the crop. The rest of the summer proved to be quite normal, resulting in a very healthy and normal harvest.
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel, temperature-controlled, with automatic pump overs, postfermentation maceration for 30 days with submerged cap; skin contact for 40-45 days with fermentation and afterwards, with post-fermentation maceration submerged cap; 100% with indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermentors
- Aging: 30 months barrel-aging in large (25-30 hl/660-793 gallons), used Slavonian oak, followed by 18 months in bottle Bottled without filtration
- Production (in cases): 660 (6/750ml)
- Cases Imported: 150
- Alcohol: 14.5%
Garnet red in color with orange hues. The bouquet offers intense fruity aromas of cherry and wild strawberries with some dried flowers and hints of apricot. The palate is full-bodied. The tannins are refined, soft and embracing. The fresh acidity is perfectly balanced and the finish is very long. This is a rich wine that shows a very approachable and harmonious feeling.
Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG – 2012 – 95 points – Wine Enthusiast
“ ... aromas of wild red berry, forest floor, rose and new leather ... The taut full-bodied palate delivers crushed Morello cherry, raspberry compote, licorice and a hint of tobacco framed in firm refined tannins. Fresh acidity lends balance."
Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG – 2012 – Top 100 Wines of 2017, #1
"... It’s elegant, silky, powerful, and refined, with bright red fruit, soft tannins, and a thin line of acidity that will preserve this cuvée for decades to come. It’s the kind of bottle that embodies traditional Nebbiolo... "
Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG – 2012 – 95 points – James Suckling
“Extremely aromatic with dried roses on the nose complement spice and plum undertones. Full-bodied, dense and lightly chewy with a beautiful depth and richness. Such great length and polish. A wine with wonderful composure..."
Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG – 2012 – 93 points – Wine Spectator
“Offers an appealing grassy aroma characteristic of the '12s, along with dusty cherry, graphite, tobacco and tar flavors. Dense and compact, yet fresh, lingering with savory elements of tobacco and mineral. Best from 2019 through 2035.”