Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC – 2016
Merli is the name of the hill where this vineyard is located; Bricco (meaning “hill”) indicates that this vineyard is located at the very top of the hill.
- Vineyards: 100% Barbera
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards located on the top of the hill; Novello village; Ravera area
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 8.65 acres
- Vine Age: 1 hectare (2.47 acres) is newly planted; 1 hectare is 20 years old; 0.5 hectare is 15 years old; 1 hectare is 30 years old
- Soil: Limestone/clay
- Elevation: 300 meters (984 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 4,500 vines/hectare (1,821 vines/acre)
The 2016 vintage was certainly one of the longest-lasting in recent years. After mild temperatures in January and February, we had a drop of temperature in March accompanied by plenty of rain. The “late” drop of temperature slowed the vegetative cycle. Spring began with a considerable amount of rain with average temperatures. This vegetative delay continued until the end of the summer, which also began slowly but extended until the end of September.
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless-steel fermentors with 9-12 days skin contact, temperature controlled, with automatic pump overs; 100% with indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermenters
- Aging: 1 year barrel-aging in used, 25-hl (660-gallon) Slavonian oak; bottle-aged for 6 months. Bottled without filtration
Intense deep red with purple reflections. The nose is complex with aromas ranging from dry apricot and plums to fresh flowers with hints of sweet spices. The palate is full-bodied and round. The bright acidity creates a perfect balance. The aftertaste is long with a salinity that is typical for the soil of Ravera.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Barbera
- Production (in cases): 1000 (12/750ml)
- Cases Imported: 250
- Alcohol: 14.5%
Elvio Cogno Barbera d’Alba Bricco Dei Merli – 2016 – James Suckling – 91 Points
Attractive combination of ripe fruit and vanilla come through on the nose and palate. Medium body and a delicious finish. Drink now.
Elvio Cogno Barbera d’Alba Bricco dei Merli – 2016 – Wine Spectator – 90 Points
This is firing on all cylinders, featuring blackberry, dark plum, chocolate and spice flavors allied to a solid structure. Long, if still a bit compact and square on the finish. Drink now through 2024.