Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC – 2013
Merli is the name of the hill where this vineyard is located; “Bricco,” or “hill,” indicates that this vineyard is located at the very top of the hill.
100% estate vineyards
- Cultivation: 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 3.5 hectares (8.65 acres)
- Vine Age: 1 hectare (2.47 acres) is newly planted; 1 hectare is 20 years old; 0.5 hectare is 15 years old; 1 hectare is 30 years old
- Soil: Limestone/clay, with a small percentage of sand
- Elevation: 300 meters (984 feet)
- Density: 4,500 vines/hectare (1,821 vines/acre)
- Training: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning
Following a cold winter without excess, yet a good amount of snow, February and March were rainy and very humid which delayed budbreak. June, July and August were warm and dry. Autumn was dry and windy, with harvest delayed by seven to 10 days compared to our normal harvest dates; yields were within an average range.
- Harvest Date(s): October 10-12
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel fermentors with 9-12 days skin contact, temperature-controlled, with automatic pump overs; 100% with indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermentors
- Barrel Aging: 1 year in used 25-hl (660-gallon) Slavonian oak
- Filtration: None
- Bottle Aging: 6 months
- Varietal Composition: 100% Barbera
- Production (in cases): 920 cases
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Cases Imported: 200
- Imported Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Alcohol: 14%
Bright ruby-red in color with clear crimson highlights. Deep, full perfumes, elegant, well-balanced and enduring, reminiscent of rose, undergrowth and oriental spices. Very powerful bouquet, sweetened by overall softness. Fine structure accompanied by lively acidic freshness. Flavors conjure up Morello cherry and plum jam with a long finish of withered grape.
Serving Suggestions: At 18 C (64 F) with tasty dishes such as pasta and red meat, medium-mature soft, fatty cheeses at 18 C (64 F).
Aging Potential: 10-15 years
Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC – 2013 – 90 points – Wine Enthusiast
"Aromas of mature dark-skinned fruit, scorched earth, exotic spice and a whiff of blue flower lead the way. The vibrant, savory palate doles out juicy black cherry, plum, ground pepper … in a framework of racy acidity and softly polished tannins."
Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC – 2013 – 90 points – The Wine Advocate
"The 2013 Barbera d'Alba Bricco dei Merli is a dark and generous wine that is loaded tight with bright fruit flavors. The Cogno family describes it as having the exuberance of the 2011 vintage and the elegance of 2012."