Bordini Barbaresco DOCG – 2018
Our production range is rounded off by this great expression of the Nebbiolo grape. Like Cogno’s other wines, this Barbaresco is elegant and structured, with a fiercely independent character. This isn’t a Barbaresco that wants to mimic its cousin Barolo, but a wine that demands respect for its full, strong identity, from vineyard to cellar. This is the wager of a Barolo producer going against the stream, grabbing the chance to come to terms with a historical wine, a supreme expression of the Langhe hills. This wine is born thanks to an extremely valuable collaboration with a friend and producer in Neive, which helped the Cogno family to embark on this new adventure.
- Vineyards: 100% Nebbiolo da Barbaresco
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards within the Bordini cru, located halfway up the hill
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 1 hectare (2.47 acres)
- Vine Age: 30 years old
- Soil: Medium-textured calcareous
- Elevation: 250 meters (820 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: Southern
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel, temperature-controlled, automatic pump over, post-fermentation maceration for 20 days with submerged cap, 100% with indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermenters
- Aging: 12-14 months barrel-aging in large, used Slavonian oak; bottle-aged for 6 months. Bottled without filtration
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 5.38 g/L
- RS: 0.49 g/L
Ruby red in color with light garnet highlights. Great finesse on the nose, harmonious and complex. Sensations of ripe red fruit and violet, with spicy undertones. Enveloping tannins, great elegance, sapidity and persistence on the palate.
Elvio Cogno Bordini Barbaresco DOCG – 2018 – Wine Spectator – 95 Points
Rich yet lacy in texture, shored up by refined tannins, this red offers cherry, currant, floral and mineral flavors. Linear and long, with a fruit-filled aftertaste, showing fine harmony and expression.
Elvio Cogno Bordini Barbaresco DOCG – 2018 – The Wine Advocate – 92 Points
The 2018 Barbaresco Bordini reveals a dark garnet color with shiny ruby highlights. With fruit from Neive, you get some soft cherry fruit, redcurrant, licorice, lavender and sweet spice all carefully woven together. The wine's texture is smooth and tight, showing delicate elegance throughout.