Bordini Barbaresco DOCG – 2014
Bordini is the name of the cru in Neive village where the vineyard is located. This wine is the offspring of an invaluable collaboration with a friend of the Cogno family, a producer in Neive. It is thanks to this collaborative effort that the Cogno family has been able to embark on a new adventure as a Barolo producer making a historic Barbaresco wine.
- Vineyards: 100% Nebbiolo da Barbaresco
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards within the Bordini cru, located halfway up the hill
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Vine Age: 30 years old
- Soil: Medium-textured calcareous
- Elevation: 300 meters (984 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: Southern
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
The start of the spring was quite early and allowed an even budding. The lower than average temperatures with high humidity created high-risk conditions for fungal infection. However, early September brought sunny, dry days and cool nights, which drastically reduced the risks of infection and helped the phenolic ripening. In the end, these conditions, particularly with Nebbiolo, enhanced the fresh and fruity flavors, keeping a bright acidity that will lead to a long aging potential.
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel, temperature-controlled, automatic pump over, postfermentation maceration for 15-20 days with submerged cap, 100% with indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermenters
- Aging: 15 months barrel-aging in large, used Slavonian oak; bottle-aged for 6 months. Bottled without filtration
- Production (in cases): 830 (12/750ml)
- Cases Imported: 125
- Alcohol: 14.5%
Ruby red in color with garnet highlights, clear and characteristic. On the nose, it shows the typical elegance of Barbaresco from the Neive township, with aromas of red fruits and undergrowth combined in an amazing bouquet of wild flowers and tobacco. On the palate, the classic elegance and power of the vintage are well-blended. Silky tannins, long and persistent, with a pleasant acidity. This wine is already excellent young, but will only evolve and get better over time.
Bordini Barbaresco DOCG – 2014 -92 points – Wine Spectator
“Offers aromas and flavors of cherry, flowers, leather and spice, with earthy, chewy tannins and an overall grainy profile. Stays long on the finish. Features a sweet core and will be fine with time.”
Bordini Barbaresco DOCG – 2014 – 91 points – Vinous
“... classy, elegant and polished. A nuanced wine for the year. Sweet tobacco, crushed flowers, mint and dried cherries are all laced together nicely. … decidedly restrained in style ..."
Bordini Barbaresco DOCG – 2014 – 90 points – James Suckling
“Dried berry and fresh flower character. Some walnuts. Primary fruit. Medium to full body, chewy tannins and a tangy finish. A little hard and angular. Give it two or three years to soften.”
Bordini Barbaresco DOCG – 2014 – 90 points – Wine Enthusiast
"This fragrant red opens with violet, red berry, crushed herb and menthol scents. It's bright and elegant, offering raspberry, juicy Marasca cherry, white pepper and clove flavors alongside polished tannins. A saline note signals the close."