Blanc de Blancs, North Coast – 2017
Blanc de Blancs (white from white), made from Chardonnay, is the counterpart to the Blanc de Noirs (white from black), made from Pinot Noir. Blanc de Blancs was the first wine Schramsberg produced in 1965 and was America’s first commercially produced Chardonnay-based brut sparkling wine. Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs gained international recognition in 1972 when then President Nixon served the wine at the historic “Toast to Peace” in Beijing, China.
The Schramsberg style of Blanc de Blancs is dry and crisp. Small lots of malolactic- and barrel-fermented wines are added for complexity. The wine is aged on the yeast lees in the bottle for almost two years prior to disgorgement. With its vibrant, fruitful and crisp nature, this sparkling wine will maintain its freshness, structure and refined finish for many years, even decades, following its initial release.
For the 2017 vintage, abundant winter rains prior to the growing season helped recharge reservoirs and groundwater. Spring weather was cool to mild, with increased vine vigor and extended flowering in some areas. After a summer of heat spikes, harvest started in the beginning of August. Warm days and cool nights throughout harvest encouraged exceptional fruit development while maintaining bright acidity.
- Appellation: North Coast
- County Composition: 72% Napa, 27% Sonoma, 1% Marin
- Harvest Date(s): August 9 ‑ September 25, 2017
- Barrel Fermentation: 23%
- Varietal Composition: 100% Chardonnay
- Production (in cases): 33,263 (9-Liter)
- Available Formats: 750ml, 1.5L, 3L, 9L
- Alcohol: 12.2%
- TA: 9.0 g/l
- p H: 3.10
- RS: 10.5 g/l
- Release Date: March 15, 2020
This 2017 Blanc de Blancs has bright aromas of Meyer lemon, golden apple, Bosc pear, marzipan and vanilla cookie, which intermingle with hints of warm pastry and cinnamon. Granny Smith apple, candied lemon and baked pineapple bring fruitful notes to the mid-palate, ending with a long, clean and vibrant finish. – Winemakers Sean Thompson and Hugh Davies
- Serving Suggestions: While this wine can be enjoyed by itself as an apéritif, it is also perfect with fresh oysters and other shellfish, crab cakes, ceviche and grilled sea bass. It is delicious with lemon chicken and Thai curries. Serve with aged Gouda or other hard cheeses, and as a counterpoint to soft triple creams.
Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs, North Coast – 2017 – The Tasting Panel – 94 Points
Fresh and juicy with the bright acidity expected of a Blanc de Blancs but with the addition of a lovely roundness and richness of fruit; lively, complete and elegant, lush and long.”