Blanc de Blancs, North Coast – 2015
Blanc de Blancs (white from white), made from Chardonnay, is the counterpart to the Blanc de Noirs (white from black), made from Pinot Noir. Blanc de Blancs was the first wine Schramsberg produced in 1965 and was America’s first commercially produced Chardonnay-based brut sparkling wine. Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs gained international recognition in 1972 when then President Nixon served the wine at the historic “Toast to Peace” in Beijing, China.
The Schramsberg style of Blanc de Blancs is dry and crisp. Small lots of malolactic- and barrel-fermented wines are added for complexity. The wine is aged on the yeast lees in the bottle for almost two years prior to disgorgement. With its vibrant, fruitful and crisp nature, this sparkling wine will maintain its freshness, structure and refined finish for many years, even decades, following its initial release.
- Appellation: North Coast
- County Composition: 54% Napa, 46% Sonoma
- Harvest Date(s): July 31 – September 21, 2015
- Barrel Fermentation: 18%
- Varietal Composition: 100% Chardonnay
- Production (in cases): 33,290
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Available Formats: 375ml, 750ml, 1.5L, 3L, 9L
- Alcohol: 12.4%
- TA: 9.1 g/l
- p H: 3.14
- RS: 10.5 g/l
“This wine has bright aromas of apple, tropical fruit and baked bread, which intermingle with hints of lemon blossom, vanilla wafer and baked pear. Candied citrus, green apple, apricot and pineapple vibrate on the palate, which ends clean and refreshing with a quenching drive.” – Winemakers Sean Thompson and Hugh Davies
- Serving Suggestions: While this wine can be enjoyed by itself as an apéritif, it is perfect with fresh oysters and other shellfish, crab cakes, ceviche and grilled sea bass. It is also delicious with lemon chicken and Thai curries. Serve with aged Gouda or other hard cheeses, and as a counterpoint to soft triple creams.
Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs North Coast – 2015 – Connoisseur’s Guide to California Wines – 91 Points
A quiet complement of green apple fruit sits beneath similarly constrained elements of toast and minerals in the fresh, nicely composed aromas of this comparatively refined sparkler, and, as is the Schramsberg norm, the wine is charged with plentiful, tiny bubbles that last and last. The clean and crisp, slightly austere qualities of the genre come through at every stop...
Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs Brut – 2015 – Vinepair – #23 The 50 Best Wines of 2018
This vintage California bubbly is another example of the incredible value offered by some domestic sparklers. Made entirely from Chardonnay grapes, the Blanc de Blancs has elegant aromas of jasmine tea, green apples, and lemon meringue pie, with dry, savory notes and a delicate, creamy mousse.