Blanc de Blancs, North Coast – 2014
The “Blanc de Blancs,” or “white from white,” made from Chardonnay is the counterpart to the “Blanc de Noirs,” or “white from black,” made from Pinot Noir. Blanc de Blancs was the first wine Schramsberg produced in 1965 and was America’s first commercially produced Chardonnay-based brut sparkling wine. Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs gained international recognition in 1972 when then President Nixon served the wine at the historic “Toast to Peace” in Beijing, China.
The Schramsberg style of Blanc de Blancs is dry and crisp. Small lots of malolactic- and barrel-fermented wines are added for complexity. The wine is aged on the yeast lees in the bottle for two years prior to disgorgement. With its vibrant, fruitful and crisp nature, this sparkling wine will maintain its freshness, structure and refined finish for many years, even decades following its initial release.
- Appellation: North Coast
- County Composition: 66% Napa, 31% Sonoma, 3% Marin
- Harvest Date(s): August 11 - September 24th
- Barrel Fermentation: 17%
- Varietal Composition: 100% Chardonnay
- Production (in cases): 34,850
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Available Formats: 750ml, 1.5L, 3L, 9L
- Alcohol: 12.8%
- TA: 0.90g/100ml
- p H: 3.13
- RS: 0.95g/100ml
“The 2014 Blanc de Blancs has bright and fresh aromas of green apple, apricot and orange blossom. The fruitful fragrance intermingles with hints of honey, and lemon zest. Freshly sliced peaches, pear and bright pineapple flavors carry vibrant length on the palate.”
– Winemakers Sean Thompson and Hugh Davies
- Serving Suggestions: While this wine can be enjoyed by itself as an apéritif, it is also perfect with fresh oysters and other shellfish, crab cakes, ceviche and grilled sea bass. It is also delicious with lemon chicken and Thai curries. Serve with aged Gouda or other hard cheeses, and as a counterpoint to soft triple creams.
Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs North Coast – 2015 – Wine Enthusiast – 90 Points
Tiny bubbles keep rising long after this dry and crisp wine made from 100% Chardonnay is poured. It has a lemony flavor with almost salty, nutty accents and vivid acidity to keep it clean and balanced.
Blanc de Blancs, North Coast – 2014 – 9-9.5 points – Vinography
“Pale baby pink in color with fine bubbles, this wine smells of rosehips and orange peels and strawberry. In the mouth, a moderately soft mousse delivers flavors of berries, citrus peel and a hint of saline. Crisp and bright and just what you want.”
Blanc de Blancs, North Coast – 2014 – 91 points – The Planet Grape
"Dry and elegant with fine bubbles and notes of lemon, pear, madeleine cookie, custard and honeysuckle."
Blanc de Blancs, North Coast – 2014 – 90 points – Wine Advocate
“...the 2014 Blanc de Blancs Napa Valley reveals a wonderfully toasty nose with suggestions of almonds and fresh hay over a core of spiced apples and baked pears. The palate is soft, creamy and fine with a lively backbone and good, long finish."