Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Riserva DOCG “Teste Dure” — 2015
Amarone Riserva “Teste Dure” (hard head) is named with love for father and son winery owners Alfredo and Mariano Buglioni. This wine suits their stubborn personality and determination to craft world class Amarone. Made only in exceptional vintages from the oldest single vineyard block on the estate, this limited Riserva offering is only the fourth ever produced (2000, 2007, and 2010 being the others). Each bottle is hand labeled and marked with a unique collectible number.
For the first time the Amarone Riserva is refined in amphora, providing an unexpectedly fresh complexity. This ancient art of aging enhances the fruit and gives it longevity to the wine.
- Vineyards: Sant'Ambrogio
- Vine Age: 15 years
- Soil: Dark, clayey and fertile with a high content of gravel, deep and drought resistant.
- Density: 5000 vines per hectare, 8 buds per vine. Green cover between the rows
- Training: Guyot
- Harvest Date(s): Manual, of selected bunches towards mid-September. Slow grape withering in the drying room until January.
- Yields: 15 hl/ha
Crushing and pressing of de-stemmed dry grapes in January. Fermentation at a controlled temperature of 25°C. Maceration of the must for 30 days in contact with the skins, with daily Pumping-over. Malolactic fermentation.
- Aging: The wine is aged in tonneaux for 30 months. It is then left to mature for at least further 60 months in the bottle before sale.
- Varietal Composition: 60% Corvina, 15% Corvinone, 10% Rondinella, 10% Oseleta, 5% Croatina
- Alcohol: 17.3%
- TA: 5.3 g/l
- p H: 3.5
- RS: 3.3 g/l
Dark ruby red colour, with garnet shades. Ripe black berry fruit aromas, with scents of sweet spices, liquorice and tobacco. Full, enveloping and velvety taste.
Serving Temperature: Approximately 18°C. Uncork at least 4 hours before drinking or pour it into a decanter for 1 hour and then flow it back into the bottle before serving.
- Serving Suggestions: Game, mature cheeses. Try it with with Bitter Chocolate 85%. Also ideal as “meditation wine."