Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Riserva DOCG “Teste Dure” – 2010
Amarone Riserva “Teste Dure” (hard head) is named with love for father and son winery owners Alfredo and Mariano Buglioni. This wine suits their stubborn personality and determination to craft world class Amarone. Made only in exceptional vintages from the oldest single vineyard block on the estate, this limited Riserva offering is only the third ever produced (2000 and 2007 being the others). Each bottle is hand labeled and marked with a unique collectible number. Elegantly packaged in a three bottle laydown wooden case box package.
- Vineyard Owner: Buglioni
- Grape Source: Top estate vineyards
- Appellation: Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Riserva DOCG
- Vine Age: 15 years
- Soil: Dark, gravelly, high clay content, fertile, deep and drought-resistant
- Density: 5,000 vines/hectare (2,023 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot, 8 buds per vine, green cover crop between rows
- First Year of Production: 2000
Flowering and fruit set began late after a cold winter and cooler than average spring. Sunny, hot days were experienced in June and July giving way to a sharp, cool and wet August. To close out the growing season, September and October saw a mix of sun and overcast skies. The vintage resulted in wines of elegant style and balance due in part to and extended ripening of the grapes over mild conditions. Those patient enough to cellar the wines of this vintage will be rewarded in the long -term.
- Yields: 15 hl/Ha (1.10 tons/acre)
- Average Yields: 15 hl/Ha (1.10 tons/acre)
Dry, destemmed grapes were crushed and pressed in January. Fermentation was at a controlled temperature of 25˚ C (77˚ F). Extended maceration was for 25 days with daily pump-overs. Malolactic fermentation took place. The wine was aged for 36 months in oak followed by 24 months in stainless steel, and at least another 36 months in the bottle before being released.
- Maceration: 25 days
- Aging: 60 months (36 months in oak followed by 24 months in stainless steel)
- Barrel Aging: 36 months
- Varietal Composition: 60% Corvina, 15% Corvinone, 10% Rondinella, 10% Oseleta, 5% Croatina
- Production (in cases): 1,190
- Production Case Pack: 3 bottle laydown wooden case
- Cases Imported: 50
- Imported Case Pack: 3 bottle laydown wooden case
- Available Formats: 750ml
- Alcohol: 16.7%
- TA: 5.9 g/l
- p H: 3.5
- RS: 8 g/l
Intense ruby-red in color with garnet shades. Intense and elegant cherry, ripe fruit and spices aroma, with scents of vanilla, tobacco and licorice. Taste is full and velvety, soft and enveloping. This is a wine for meditation; a leading actor. It is traditionally paired with game and mature cheeses. For a very special sensory experience, try it with bitter chocolate 85%. Serve at 18˚ C (65˚ F). Uncork for at least 4 hours before consuming or leave it for 1 hour and decant back in bottle before serving.