Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG – 2016
- Vine Age: 16 years
- Soil: Dark, gravelly, high clay content, fertile, deep and drought-resistant
- Elevation: 660 feet above sea level
- Orientation: North-south orientation
- Density: 5,000 vines/hectare (2,023 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot, 8 buds per vine, green cover crop between rows
The 2016 vintage was certainly one of the most interesting in recent years. After mild temperatures in February, the temperature dropped in March accompanied by plenty of rain. The “late” temperature drop slowed down the vegetative cycle. Spring began with a considerable amount of rain with average temperatures. This vegetative delay continued until the end of the summer, which also began slowly but extended until the end of September. The picking of the Molinara started a bit earlier as usual, followed by Corvina, Rondinella, Croatina and Corvinone. Oseleta has been picked late October.
Full ripening was achieved in all cases without any phenolic problems. The late development seen in the early part of the year was made up for during the months of August and September. In particular, the second half of September was crucial for the components that determine the structure of the wines, especially the accumulation of phenolic substances.
We can easily state the 2016 vintage is going to be one of the most elegant vintage since the last two decades, so similar to the 2000 – 2001 that have been for us the two most iconic vintages.
- Harvest Date(s): Mid-September
- Yields: 30 hl/ha (3 tons/acre)
Dry, destemmed grapes were crushed and pressed in mid-January. Slow grape withering the drying room until mid-January. Fermentation was at a controlled temperature of 24 C (75 F). Extended maceration was for 25 days with daily pumpovers. Malolactic fermentation took place. The wine was aged 30 months in French oak barriques (20% new, 80% used) and 12 months in bottle before being released.
- Varietal Composition: 60% Corvina, 20% Corvinone, 10% Rondinella, 5% Croatina, 5% Oseleta
- Alcohol: 16.3%
- TA: 5.5g/L
- p H: 3.4
- RS: 3g/L
Intense ruby red color. Scent of cherry, black cherry and white pepper, with mineral notes. Soft, fresh and elegant taste.
- Serving Suggestions: Serve at 18 C (65 F). Open at least one to two hours.