Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOCG – 2015
- Size: 23 hectares (57 acres)
- Vine Age: 15 years
- Soil: Dark, gravelly, high clay content, fertile, deep and drought-resistant
- Elevation: 660 feet above sea level
- Orientation: North-south orientation
- Density: 5,000 vines/hectare (2,023 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot, 8 buds per vine, green cover crop between rows
2015 has been one of what we name “grande annata.” Spring saw rain until the middle of April, followed by days of sun and a few more nights of rain. It has been warm without being too hot. The grapes didn’t burn and were near perfect in 95% of the quantity.
- Harvest Date(s): Mid-September
- Yields: 30 hl/ha (3 tons/acre)
Dry, destemmed grapes were crushed and pressed in mid-January. Slow grape withering the drying room until mid-January. Fermentation was at a controlled temperature of 24 C (75 F). Extended maceration was for 25 days with daily pumpovers. Malolactic fermentation took place. The wine was aged 30 months in French oak barriques (20% new, 80% used) and 12 months in bottle before being released.
- Varietal Composition: 60% Corvina, 20% Corvinone, 10% Rondinella, 5% Croatina, 5% Oseleta
- Alcohol: 16.4%
- TA: 5.4g/L
- p H: 3.6
- RS: 4g/L
Dark ruby-red in color with garnet shades. Intense and elegant aromas of ripe fruit, raisins and spices with vanilla, tobacco, cocoa and anise. Persistent, warm flavors, velvety and harmonious. This is a wine for meditation — a protagonist on its own. It is traditionally paired with game, grilled beef, stew, braised meat and mature cheeses, however, the smoothness of its dry fruit allows for modern and daring pairing…have you ever tried it with raw prawns or scampi? Serve at 18 C (65 F). Open at least one hour before serving.
Buglioni Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Il Lussurioso — 2015 – James Suckling – 95 Points
The power but also vibrancy of the fruit on the nose is very impressive. Dark plums, incense, tar, dried meat and elderberry compote are out in full force. The soft fruit would be enough in itself, but its enveloped in meaty, chewy tannins that give this imposing structure and form. The finish is long and powerful and the hints of earth give a savory edge to this robust Amarone. Drink from 2023.