Abélard, AOC Ventoux – 2013
Abélard, one of the most distinguished philosophers of medieval times, is most remembered for his tragic romance with the gifted young Héloïse. One of history’s most celebrated couples, Héloïse and Abélard are known for their intellectual brilliance, passionate love affair, eloquent letters and the tragedy that cruelly separated them. Sometimes referred to as “the Romeo and Juliet of France,” they were actually far more complex and accomplished individuals, and their love spanned many decades until the end of their lives, making it a symbol of enduring romantic love. This complex, brooding Grenache blend from older vines seems worthy of Abélard, who combined erudition with deep thinking and a near-fatal attraction.
- Viticulture: Organic and biodynamic practices, certified BeeFriendly and HVE 3 sustainable viticulture (highest tier)
- Vine Age: Grenache - over 60 years old; Syrah - 50 years old
- Soil: Clay and limestone, very stony
- Elevation: Syrah: Southwest facing; 540 meters (1,771 feet) Grenache: Northwest facing; 530 meters (1,739 feet)
- Fermentation: In wooden tanks, with skin maceration for 5 weeks; 100% malolactic
- Barrel Aging: 18 months in mix of old and new French oak from various coopers, primarily 228-liter (60-gallon) barrels with medium and medium-plus toast; plus 12 months in concrete tanks
- Filtration: Unfiltered
- Fining: Unfined
- Varietal Composition: 85% Grenache Noir, 15% Syrah
- Alcohol: 14%
Appearance: Deep, brilliant garnet
Nose: Notes of fine spice and white pepper with ripe black cherries.
Palate: Smooth and silky with ripe red fruits and velvety tannins.
Finish: Long and smooth.
- Serving Suggestions: Gamey meats like venison, or beef and lamb, and roasted vegetables. A good match for spicy dishes and salty cheeses.