Chablis Premier Cru Les Fourchaumes Vielles Vignes – 2017
Chablis—Fourchaumes 1er Cru is 3.12 hectares (7.71 acres) of 129.49 hectares (319.98 acres) in total
- Viticulture: One man, one plot: There are more than 30 people who are dedicated to caring for the 90-plus hectares (222.39 acres) of Domaine Laroche vineyards, with each person responsible for only one plot. This tailor-made approach allows them to manage the vineyards with precision, speed and accuracy. Everyone at Domaine Laroche practices “lutte raisonnée,” or “reasoned protection,” (using chemical intervention only when required): The vineyard is plowed to aerate the soil and encourage development of the root system, as well as the organic life in the soil. Vines are pruned and trained by hand, with a strict pruning and debudding regimen. Leaf plucking occurs to aerate the canopy and avoid the development of botrytis, while trellising aerates the grapes and provides them with favorable exposure.
- Vine Age: Up to 65 years; 5,880 vines per hectare (14,523 vines per acre); massal selection from Laroche old vines for the new plantings.
- Soil: Old vines planted on a slope well-exposed to south and west, sheltered from northern wind, Fourchaumes is one of the most spectacular vineyards of Domaine Laroche.
A precocious season with buds showing in early April. The cold wave that followed slowed down the growth, leaving good conditions for the flowering beginning of June. This singular season offered beautiful bunches and quality grapes with good health conditions. Once pressed, the juices were precise, straight, with great texture. This vintage will bring well-structured wines with a nice freshness.
PRESSING: The grapes are harvested and sorted by hand. Whole bunches are pressed in a pneumatic press, and then the must settles for 12 hours at 10° C to 12° C (50° F to 54° F) in large vats.
- Fermentation: The must ferments for 3 weeks, a part in stainless steel vats and the other rest in French oak barrels.
- Aging: 8 months aging in the same vessel types. The wine will then be blended and aged further on fine lees for about 4-6 months depending on tastings.
- Filtration: Minimal filtration is used to preserve and maximize the natural character of the wine.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Chardonnay
- Alcohol: 13%
A racy, elegant wine with intense minerality; a beautiful structure with delicate notes of white blossom and orchard fruit.